Search This Blog

Monday, December 19, 2011

Pie Tests

So I got an itch to do a bit of baking today and so I pulled out my cookbook.  Figured I would make some cookies because they sounded good, but the cookbook I had pulled out didn't have sugar cookies or anything similar that sounded good.  Feeling adventurous I decided to make a pie.  A note of caution, I have never made a pie before, this could be scary.  The recipe that sounded the best was the Chocolate Nut Pie, looked incredibly easy, so I went to the store and got all the supplies necessary to make it.  This is the final product.......
This looked kinda like a pecan pie, which I assume is good because those are the nuts I decided on for it.  I deviated from the recipe a little because I thought a dark chocolate syrup glaze would taste good on it, because more chocolate is always a good thing.  I have done a bit of googling and found out that this type of pie is sometimes called Derby Pie or Kentucky Pie.
At this point I have two problems-
1.  I am not a pie person so I have no clue how this pie is supposed to taste.  Never had pecan pie in my life and from what I can tell, this is supposed to be kinda like that too.
2.  Due to recent dental work, I cannot eat crunchy foods.  This has lots and lots of nuts..........

So at this point I need a test subject to try this out on.  On Wednesday there is a potluck at my workplace which is a good/bad place to test food out on people.  If it goes well, everyone remembers me; if it goes badly, everyone remembers me.  Lol sounds like quite a conundrum......

As for other stitching matters.......  I have finished the filling on one whole side of a single napkin, lol, only seven more sides to go.  I have discovered that this specific pattern is starting to get tedious.  Here is a picture of the second napkin that I am working on (the one with the unfinished edges) that shows the filling pattern.

1 comment:

  1. Pecan pies vary a lot. Most are tooth-achingly sweet, like most other sugar pies. They run from plain sugar pie garnished with a couple nuts, to heavy, nutty denseness. The best taste like toasted pecans, with nuttiness and buttery tastes balancing the sugar shock.

    My fave is here: http://www.cookiemadness.net/2009/11/browned-butter-pecan-pie/ I make it using about 2.5 cups of pecans, plus a generous handful of bittersweet or semisweet choc chips or shavings, tossed in with the nuts. It's a less-sweet pecan pie to start out with and the bitter chocolate cuts that back even more. The butter-roasted nut flavor on this one is out of this world, especially accompanied by unsweetened whipped cream. I've also made this with hazelnuts and a mix of hazelnuts and pecans. Both were great. Hope this helps. -k.

    ReplyDelete